Custom Training Programs:
Custom training programs include a phone consultation, detailed training split and workouts including sets/reps/exercise and guidance on weights, basic dietary guidance, and exercise critique or demonstrations for up to three movements. These programs are 8-12+ weeks in duration (depending on goals) and the cost is $150, with a <1 week turnaround time.
Programs are available for individuals who are looking to increase strength/size, decrease body-fat, improve athletic performance, or compete in powerlifting/strongman events.
For more information or to purchase please email email@example.com and be sure to include ‘custom training program’ in the subject line.
If you are interested in a generic program that can be applied to a number of different weight training goals then here are some proven routines, including the 3-day split which has over 400,000 views on Bodybuilding.com.
3-Day Training Split:
Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
– Deadlift (3 sets)
– Chins (3 sets)
– One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
– Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
– Barbell Curls (2 sets)
– Hammer Curls (1 set)
Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
– Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
– Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
– Dips (2 sets)
– Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
– Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
– Side Laterals (2 sets)
– Pushdowns (2 sets)
– Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)
Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
– Squats (4 sets)
– Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
– Walking Lunges (2 sets)
– Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
– Calf Raises (3 sets)
*Notes: For initial compound movement in each workout I generally recommend that you work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically suggest sets of 5-8 reps, and then finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range. For the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) you could also perform drop sets. If you have issues with recovery you can perform deadlifts every other week, and on the week without them simply increase the number of sets for Chins and Rows.
4/5 Day Training Split:
– Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
– Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
– T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
– Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
– One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15
– Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
– Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
– Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
– Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
– Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12
Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
– Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
– Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
– Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
– Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
Friday: Arms & Shoulders
– Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
– Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
– Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
– Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
– Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
– Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets
– Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets
Six Day Split:
This is a PPL (P/P/L = Push Pull Legs) split where each muscle group is trained twice per week. This program is primarily intended for those who are looking to increase hypertrophy and build significant amounts of muscle, but at the same time it includes components that should increase strength (some call it a ‘hybrid’ / ‘powerbuilding’ / ‘power-builder’ routine). I recommend that you go to failure on at least one set per exercise (depending on rest periods) and the total workouts should not run beyond 60 minutes.
Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps)
– One-Arm Dumbbell Rows | 5 sets -> 10, 6, 4, 8, 20/arm
– Weighted Chins | 3 sets of 6-10 reps
– Wide Grip Low Pulley Row | 2 sets of 8-10 reps
↱ Hammer Curls | 3 sets of 10 reps
| Concentration Curls OR Spider Curls | 2 Sets of 8-10 reps/arm
↳ DB Farmers Walk OR Hold | 2 sets of 45-90 seconds
Tuesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
– Flat Dumbbell Bench Press | 4 sets -> 10, 8, 6, 6
– Incline Barbell Bench Press | 3 sets of 8-10 reps
– Overhead Dumbbell or Barbell Extension | 3 sets of 10 reps
↱ Side Laterals | 3 drop sets, each one a total of 15-25 reps
| Push-downs | 5 sets of 10-20 reps
↳ Cable Crossover OR Pec Deck | 2 sets of 10-15 reps
Wednesday: Lower Body (Legs – Deadlift)
– Deadlift OR Deadlift Variation (Rack Pull, Deficit, etc.) | Work up to a heavy set of 2-5 reps
– Front Squats | 3 sets of 3-8 reps
– Leg Curls | 3 sets of 10-12 reps
↱ Walking Lunges (2 sets) | 2 sets of 10 lunges/leg
| Standing Calf Raises | 2 sets of 25 reps
↳ Abs (various) | 5 Sets of 10-20 reps
Thursday: Pulling (Back/Biceps)
– BW Chins | 4 sets, stop 1-2 reps shy of failure until last set then go all out.
– Wide Grip Upright Rows OR High Pulls | 2 Sets of 4-10 reps
– Close Grip Pull-downs | 3 sets of 10 reps
↱ Barbell Rows | 2 Sets of 15 reps
| Alternating DB Curls | 3 Sets of 5-10/arm
↳ Close Grip EZ Bar Curls | 3 Sets of 8-12 reps
Friday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
– Weighted Dips or Close Grip Bench | 4 sets of 5-10 reps
– Incline DB Bench | 2 sets of 8 reps
– Decline Barbell Bench | 3 Sets of 8-10 reps
– Seated DB Military Press | 3 sets of 8-10 reps
↱ Front Raises, DB or Barbell | 3 sets of 10 reps
| Incline Skull Crushers | 2 sets of 15 reps
↳ Face Pulls | 3 sets of 20 reps
Saturday: Lower Body (Legs – Squat)
– Squats | 4 Sets -> 10, 8, 6, 4
– Strait Leg Deadlifts | 3 Sets of 8-10 reps
↱ Leg Extensions | 2 Sets of 15-20 reps
| Leg Press | 3 sets of 20 reps
↳ Seated Calf Raises | 4 sets of 10-15 reps
Sunday: Off / Rest
*Note: The last three movements at the end of the workout can be done as a Super-Set / Giant-Set / Circuit if you would like (speeds up the workout and adds more conditioning). Advanced trainees may also perform drop sets on these three movements, so each set would become 2-3 drop sets which also provides more overall volume and intensity.
5-Day Athlete / Power Training Split:
Monday: Lower – Hamstring Focus
* Rack Pull OR Trap Bar Deadlift OR Wide Stance Box Squat –> Work up to a heavy set in the 2-5 rep range.
* Stiff Leg Deadlift or Leg Press (feet high and wide) –> 3 Sets of 10-15 reps
* If you have a sled then you could also do sled drags on this day.
Tuesday: Upper – Press Focus
* Bench Press – Work up to a heavy set of 2-8 reps, preferably paused.
* Incline Dumbbell Press – 3 sets of 8-10 reps
* Weighted Dips OR Close Grip Bench OR Pin Press / Board Press – 3 sets of 8-10 reps
Wednesday: Accessory Day
* Rear Delt Work (Band Pull-Aparts or Face Pulls or Reverse Pec Deck) – 3 sets of 15-20 reps
* Biceps (Hammer curls, EZ bar curls, etc.) – 3 sets of 10-15 reps
* Calf Raises (seated or standing) – 3 sets of 15-25 reps
* Abs & Low Back – Preferably some weighted movements, 3 sets of 10-20 reps for each.
Thursday: Lower – Squat Focus
* Olympic Style Squats OR Front Squats – Work up to a heavy set of 2-5 reps, can work in some pause squats as well.
* Walking DB Lunges OR Hack Squats OR Leg Extensions OR Sissy Squats – 3 sets of 10 reps
* If you do any plyometric work then you could do that today – box jumps, broad jumps, etc.
Friday: Upper – Pull Focus
* High Pulls or Hang Cleans – Work up to a heavy set of 2-3 reps, if you are unsure of your technique then keep the weights lighter and increase volume to make things more challenging.
* Pull-Up’s – 3 sets of 8-10 reps (can use a band to help or do pull-downs instead if necessary)
* One Arm Dumbbell Roes – 3 sets of 10-15 reps/arm